Tuesday 8 November 2011

Mark Power - A380 Project

I found these images a few years ago, but it was only recently that I found out they were taken by Mark Power, one of my current favourite photographers. Power was commissioned in 2002 by Airbus to cover the construction of the A380 and, because of its huge size, the construction of the infrastructure (the warehouses, factories and transport systems, including a specially built ship).
I think the A380 is an extraordinary feat of engineering, as the largest passenger plane in the world, it's a double-decker airliner that can transport up to 853 people in one trip. The first test flight was made in 2005 and was available for commercial service in 2007. These images show the incredible size of the aircraft and all the effort, labour and materials that have gone into its manufacture.
I realise that because Power was commissioned by Airbus the images are going to have a positive light to them, but I like to think that even if Power was undertaking this project out of his own interest the images would still look very similar. Personally, I find the photos tell a story from beginning to end, they document an important moment in history, and a milestone in technological advancement, as well as being incredible images.

All Images have been taken from Mark Powers website.















No comments:

Post a Comment